This frozen yogurt recipe is easy to make and takes just 5 minutes. Check out my tips to make creamy, delicious frozen yogurt.
It is easy to make frozen yogurt at home, as much as I love eating out for delicious fro-yo. It can also be a great way of using up ripened summer fruits.
I had plenty of fresh strawberries so I cut them up and frozen them for later. Strawberry frozen yogurt was the next thing I thought of. We are here!
The homemade frozen yogurt recipe only takes 5 minutes! A few tips will ensure that you get a creamy, delicious treat that tastes almost as good as ice cream, but is healthier for your health.
Making your own frozen yogurt at your home can be difficult because the water component of the yogurt crystallizes, causing the yogurt to become more icy than creamy. Although you don’t expect it to be as creamy and smooth as ice cream, there are some easy tips that will help you make creamier frozen yogurt at your home.
How can you make frozen yogurt creamier?
- Use whole milk Greek Yogurt and add cream, if desired. Greek yogurt is richer in texture and flavor than regular yogurt. Concentrated or strained Greek yogurt means that the liquids containing whey and other liquids are removed. This creates a creamier base for froyo. You can also add some heavy cream. If you want thicker, creamier results, you can even substitute the Greek yogurt with labneh (extra strained yogurt).
- Add a little corn syrup. Although corn syrup is not necessary, it can make your strawberry freeze more smooth. You can prevent the formation of large crystals from the yogurt while it freezes.
- Use some sugar. It was my desire to use honey in this recipe. However, the sugar does two things. It does, however, improve the texture, much like corn syrup. The yogurt mixture will lose some of its sweetness as it freezes. This means that even though it tastes great, it will taste bland later. The flavor is enhanced by the addition of sugar.
- A banana is a great way to increase creaminess and volume in strawberry frozen yogurt. Simply add a slice of frozen banana.
- Before freezing the yogurt mixture, cover the top with parchment paper. This will help prevent ice crystals form by simply adding parchment to the yogurt’s surface before covering it tightly.
This recipe only requires a few ingredients. You can also use any frozen fruit you like. It is important to have the right ratio of yogurt to fruit. I found 6 cups of frozen fruit to 1 Cup of Greek yogurt to work well. This is how to make this recipe.
- 6 cups frozen slices of fruit. I used banana and strawberry in this example, but you could use any other fruit combination. You have many options: frozen mangoes, peaches or berries.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt made from whole milk. Use fat-free or low-fat Greek yogurt.
- To sweeten, honey and sugar. I used granulated and Greek honey. You can adjust the quantities to your taste, but I found that 1/4 cup worked best for me.
- Orange or Vanilla extract
- Corn syrup
Making frozen yogurt From scratch
This easy frozen yogurt recipe does not require an ice cream machine. You can use your food processor or blender to make it!
You can make homemade frozen yogurt using your food processor by adding your frozen fruit, Greek yogurt and honey, sugar to sweeten, orange extract and some corn syrup. Blend until you have a creamy, smooth mixture that looks almost like a milkshake or thick smoothie.
Next, choose a freezer-safe container you can cover tightly. Smoothen the yogurt mixture onto the container. Cover the yogurt mixture with parchment and then freeze it until hardening.
How long should you freeze it?
Strawberry Greek yogurt can be served immediately in glasses, either as a smoothie or milkshake. To make frozen yogurt treats, freeze the strawberry Greek yogurt for at least six hours. Allow it to cool in the freezer for a few minutes before scooping it.